Sunday, January 31, 2010

Russi Modi's Tom Cat

=====================================================================

Once upon a time, when Russi Modi was heading the Tata Empire, he was also heading the BOG of IIT KGP during its most turbulent sojourn (circa 1985).

He decided to address the 300-strong faculty of IIT in the Netaji Auditorium (it was like bearding the lion in its own den).

He started his speech thus:

“I am totally scared of teachers (he screwed them alright later…gps). Recently, there was an enormous population explosion of cats in our TELCO Campus in Jamshedpur and they were becoming aggressive and life-threatening. Upon investigation, I got to know that the entire mischief is due to an extraordinarily virile Tom Cat.

Scared of the RSPCA, we couldn’t physically exterminate it. So we decided to castrate it. The Tom Cat felt shamed and immediately fled the TELCO Campus.

But within weeks the cat population soared once again.

We then found that our Tom Cat had set up a thriving Night Coaching School in the Sakchi area outside TELCO for the fledgling neighborhood kittens.”

==================================================================================

When we moved to an apartment complex in the rather posh area around the Banjara Hills a couple of years ago, I was hiding from our co-tenants and owners who were all Retired Chief Engineers, High Court Judges and Managing Directors. They would ask what I was and when I replied that I am a retired IIT Teacher of Theoretical Physics, they would curl up their lips and say what is it good for. I had no answer.

But I was reminded of Russi Modi’s Tom Cat when I got the following mail (excerpted):

=======================================================================================

Dear Sir,

You will be very proud to hear this news. I am one of the recipients of this year's Presidential Young Scientist/Early Career award. I feel like I have vindicated some part of your faith and confidence in me. But, for you, I would not be in Physics today.

I will be visiting India next month, from the 20th of Feb till 3rd of March, with a delegation of 10-12 people from Texas A&M. Indian Govt is signing a few MOUs with us for improvement in Science/Engg. education, joint collaborations in Science and Tech. We will be spending 2-3 days each in Delhi, Bangalore, Bombay and Madras. I am personally pushing for a joint project with TIFR for the recently approved India-based Neutrino Observatory.

Are you by any chance going to be in any of these 4 places at that time. I really would like to meet with you and take your blessings to push me forward in my career.

Sincerely,

==========================================================

No comments: