Sunday, August 2, 2015

Terrific Typos

********************************************************************************************************************************










"The bench also took into consideration the typographical error wherein the state of Andhra Pradesh, instead of the central government, was directed to release funds..."

...ToI Page 5 Saturday 1 August 2015




gps: This reminds me of the morning when a senior professor entered the exam hall at IIT KGP thirty years back and announced a typo in his question paper to be corrected by his students: 

"Replace piston with flywheel in Question #3"






...Posted by Ishani

********************************************************************************************************************************

3 comments:

Varun N. Achar said...

Sir,

I'm catching up with your blog after a long time. I find that Telugu prose has been pouring forth from your fertile brain. I wish I could do better than make out 80% of the consonants, 40% of the vowel diacritics, and 20% of the words!

I think of you often when reading Wodehouse, Somerset Maugham, Narayan, Mark Twain, etc., of a leisurely afternoon. I know you have taken little note of Narayan's fiction, but if I may, I would like to urge you to read his "Talkative Man" and "Vendor of Sweets". The narrative (i.e. the "fictional" element), though artistic in no small measure, amounts but to a fraction of the virtue of these (and, indeed, most of Narayan's) works; his keen, accurate and sardonic observations on timelessly universal human truths---illustrated through his endearing and all-too-human characters---are the greatest treasure contained in his fiction. And the fiction--non-fiction dichotomy has little effect on this aspect.

Yesterday I remembered you again on account of Guru Poornima. All is well with me and my family.

Regards,

Varun.

G P Sastry (gps1943@yahoo.com) said...

Dear Varun:

Very happy to read your comment and note that all of you are well. Thank you!

I am now in the retreating mode from blogging, reading, and walking.

Most of the day I sit down quietly in the plush sofa that Sailaja gifted me or on the lawn benches in front of the Kids' Play Area, gathering terrific amounts of wool. The goal is not to oversnack or overdoze...a losing battle.

Otherwise life is good.

Love

gps

Varun N. Achar said...

Sir,

While I'm not the happiest about your retreat from writing, reading and walking, I'm pleased to learn that you're getting to indulge in that most rewarding of (in)activities, wool-gathering!

My parents will be visiting us here for a couple of months. For now, we look forward to that.

Regards,

Varun.