Friday, May 7, 2010

Ten Point Nothing

====================================================


Late October Midnight: B-140, IIT KGP:

My son and wife have already left KGP to relocate in Hyderabad, where my son took up a stressful Software job. I am loning, waiting for the phone call from my son that he got back home safe. Also marking my time to quit KGP and join them in a few months. Late October is always sad at KGP. Trees downsizing. Sunshine dwindling. The nip of winter not there yet. Distant Dhakis Beating Retreat. My last Pujas in Bengal.

Suddenly the other telephone rings.

"Can I speak to Professor Sastry please" "Speaking" "Sir, this is DV" "Ha jee kaise ho?" "Sir, do you remember me after 33 years?" "Why not? You are the only DV I ever taught" "I am in Cal sir. Tomorrow I am visiting KGP after 33 years. Could you please be available in your Office" "Your orders, IAS Babu".

Next morning he was there. A lanky kid in 1969. Something in the eyes that told that he was different. Now bald, with a paunch, but the same twinkle in the eyes.

Not I, but it was he who led me to his Class Room where I taught his batch EMT. Showed me his seat. Led me to his erstwhile 3rd year Lab. Nostalgia. He told me that he often visits Cal on official trips, but never could find time to make it to KGP. Found from the IIT website that I was the only surviving teacher still hanging around. Happy for at least that. I pulled his legs about his unending quarrels with some Hassletons who are there always.

I asked him to join me in my frugal lunch at my home. He would have none of it. He HAD got to eat his Thali Meals in his Patel Dining Hall. His nephew who is a Final Year there took care of that. Post-lunch another round of Nostalgia. After passing B Sc (Hons) from KGP he shifted to IIT Kanpur. Did his M Tech there. Fell in love with a Bengali Classmate. Got bored with Physics and joined IAS. Now Principal Secretary, Haryana at Gurgaon. Wife Ph D (IITK) and Professor of Physics at Gurgaon. Two sons. One in Final Year at IIT Bombay. The other First Year at IIT Madras.

He looked at my Lecture Notes on Physics. Could he get a spare copy which his wife could use. With pleasure, an autographed one at that.

Went back and wrote a moving column in Tribune down memory lane (These IAS chappies don't get 'rejection slips' which lesser mortals like their teachers have to face). Sent me a copy.

I mailed Madhu (Dean something): Dear Madhu: Don't mind addressing my superior in the Hierarchy as Madhu. Once a Madhu, always Madhu. I am attaching a brief write-up titled "A Pan-IIT Family". Please see if it can find space in a forthcoming issue of KGPian.

"Sir, I may be Dean, but to you I always remain Madhu. Delighted to read about DV's family spanning IITs KGP, Kanpur, Bombay and Madras. I am pushing it in the nest issue".

KLM, my AU classmate who was gunning for Professor Emeritus at Raleigh wanted to see me. He invited himself to the Material Science Dept, IIT KGP, for a Lecture Series. I wanted him to meet the Deputy Director, my close friend, who heard a lot about KLM from me. Madhu was there. He addressed everyone: "In my First Year in 1966, gps taught us Physics I. He was just like anyone of us. At the end of the Year, he wrote 5 topics on the Black Board and invited 5 students willing to teach these topics in the next 5 Lectures in his place. I shouted: 'ME!'. After my Lecture my classmates told me that I am a born-teacher. Then and there I decided to join IIT KGP as a teacher and never looked back".

Madhu became a Deputy Director and I hear that he is now Director of one of the new IITs(?).I congratulated him on his appointment and got a big ThanQ Note.

I asked DV about his classmate Subba Rao, who I knew joined IIT Kanpur and IAS like DV. Indeed he stood ALL India First. He did visit KGP to take his Degree and met us all with the good news.

DV said Subba did extremely well and was then the Finance Secretary at Delhi.

I saw his picture almost every day on TV when he took over as the Governor, Reserve Bank during the worst Recession. The other day he hiked another point or two to rein in Inflation.

A couple of days after DV's visit, I was gathering a lot of wool over a cup of Tea under the Mango Tree in front of the Coop Canteen. Yogesh came and sat by my side. I asked him where he is heading. He said he hasn't decided yet. Got offers from MIT, Harvard, Caltech and wherever he applied. PGM tho! Exchanged a few words after a long time. He wished me Happy Retirement and I a Happy Future.

This young chap was in my First Jumbo Class in 2000. As I said, by my tricks I saw to it that only about 120 attended the Class and they were all there to improve their grades. And I converted it into a BIG Tutorial Class. 120 Humming Bees! I used to walk up and down the aisle supervising their work. Yogesh would take the aisle seat and catch me whenever I pass by him and ask a penetrating question. And I would tweet the answer. He would nod his head and fall silent.

A couple of days later, there were complaints from his classmates; they could hear my answer, but not his question. I appreciated their agony working back from answer to its question. It so happened that the AV Cell put an ugly cell-phone-sized transmitter in my pocket and clipped the mike to my shirt. So that my hands could be free. I told them that I am no Hemamalini dancing Bharat Natyam Mudras with my hands. And got the damn thing replaced by the old-fashioned push-mike transmitter. Then onwards, I could push the thing in front of Yogesh when he asked; and in front of my mouth when I replied: much like the NDTV hosts. Problem solved.

I never attended the Senate, but used to go through its Minutes minutely (pun intended). And at the beginning of every Semester, the Director used to congratulate the 10-pointers and record it in the Senate Minutes. Yogesh's name was ever there heading the list every Semester (like Abu Ben Adhem?). To look at him you would never guess. He looked so boyish but his eyes betrayed. One doesn't have to be brash to show off.

The list of reminiscences is endless.

Very few who retire at 62 and sink into Deep Depression for two years wake up and take to a completely new avocation. Maybe, I was meant to write up these blogs; just to correct the picture.

The other day DQ wrote a poignant mail saying he doesn't 'dare' reading the renowned bestseller about life at IIT. Apparently, he is happy with my stories because they ring more true to IIT KGP. Could be.

In one of his rare bursts of 'enthu', Aniket offered to compile and edit my KGP blogs into a booklet (after my time is up?).

Someone placed that thing in my hands. The blurb said it was a 'dark' IIT novel. Found it highly readable. But won't re-read it, no way. I read 100-times-darker novels. My complaint is that it is highly one-sided. Doesn't do justice at all to the brighter side. And the writer has no experience nor imagination to portray at least a glimpse of the Faculty & Administration. These come out very poorly indeed. But, there you are! Folks want Masala; and by definition, Masala involves pulling sublime things down to the gutter. Well, you have to give what they demand if you have to go places.

Don't think that my 40 years at KGP was a bed of unremitting roses. But, what is the point?

You should BE POSITIVE (B+) when your time is closing.

Aniket: Your booklet of my compiled KGP blogs should be titled : "Ten Point Nothing"

Last Will & Testament of gps!


=============================================================

No comments: