Sunday, November 14, 2010

Latest Ishani Booklet

============================================================

A few copies of the latest Ishani booklet:

Between You & Me
&
Little Ishani


are left with me. If you wish, I can mail to your Postal Address; first come first serve.

Pleasure!

gps

********************************************************************

Supratim writes:

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the wonderful gift of the latest collection of your blogs. I was very happy to see "Workaholics Anonymous" included in the collection and had another good laugh after reading it again for the umpteenth time. However, after reading Pratik-da's Foreword, I must admit to feeling a bit guilty about "demanding" along with Aniket that you blog daily. While I eagerly look forward to your blog posts and read them with great pleasure every day, I can only imagine the work that it takes to finish such delightful compositions within a strict deadline. I am beginning to wonder if we have, by our selfish motives, ensured that your "whole afternoon from one to five" is ruined. I hope not and I suspect that you enjoy this task of creating as much as we enjoy reading your daily blog posts.

An English teacher in my school used to tell us to follow the King of Heart's advise - " Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop" while teaching us how to write essays. Since then, I have found that while writing can be exhilarating and excruciating at times, it is seldom as easy as the King of Hearts' dictum. So here's hoping, for our sakes, that you find writing your blogs more exhilarating than excruciating, for then we can continue to enjoy our selfish pleasure without feeling too guilty about ruining your afternoons.

**********************************************************************************

Supratim writes well.....will use him...

***********************************************************************************************

gps replies:

Dear Supratim:

No, Pratik didn't say that you 'demand' my daily-blogging. He said: 'command' like Ishani does. She got to know by now that books contain reading matter. As soon as she is launched on my bed by her mom, she runs crawling to my side, picks up one of her Ishnai booklets lying there and proffers it to me asking me by gesture to read it aloud.

I then pretend to read the contents aloud:

"Hiranyavarnaam hariniim, Suvarna rajatasrajaam chandraam, hiranmayeem
laxmiim....." (Sree Suktam)

and she is mighty pleased with the Sanskrit Hymns I let out..

Honestly I feel no difference between my kids, grandkids, students and grandstudents. I tell Pratik often that I miss very much the fact that he was not a classmate of yours at IIT KGP, sitting in my class and dozing {;-}

As you folks by now know well, the intimacy of the class room at its best can beat the intimacy of the family dining table.

And anyone who reads my Ishani booklets will know immediately that the fun in them is spontaneous and not contrived: proof that I enjoy composing them more than you enjoy reading them...like my wife enjoys cooking it up than I enjoy eating her delicious cooking.

So, have no qualms....you have instilled Life into an aging mind by giving it a favorite creative pursuit.

And your gift of Feynman Letters is waiting in the wings.

As you people know, the knowledge that a good book is waiting for you makes the wait exhilarating.

Whole afternoon today I was reading the latest Ishani booklet (it took 3 hours) and so couldn't cook up tomorrow's blog...so I import a 'piece' from Mark Twain.

Love

gps




============================================================

No comments: