Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Effect & Cause

************************************************************************************************







Many readers of my Ishani booklets belonging to my extended family wonder (aloud) why my Father appears frequently in my pieces, but not my mom.

There is a reason for this.

I empathize with my Father, although he used to thrash me justifiably on a daily basis during my naughty boyhood. And I disagreed with his policies almost always, except for his Truthfulness which I admire. Even while getting beaten up, I could sense he was essentially a weak character (since he used to inwardly feel sorry after the event...kids know). He was trapped between conflicting ideals...a Gandhian sans his non-violence...while I abhor violence, verbal, physical and emotional. So, I always used to feel forgivingly superior to him.

But my mom is a very strong character and I feel inferior to her. Her strength comes from her firm convictions...she never has any doubts.

And the basis of her convictions is her incomparable command over
 microcausality ...she has an explanation for everything that happens. 


What I mean by microcausality is a modified and twisted theory of Karma and her strong grasp of it within her cupped hands.

Let me explain.

When I told her I had to cancel my tickets to Gudur since I got laid up with herpes joster, she at once said that it was because I booked my tickets on a Saturday...everyone knows (except philistines like me) that Saturdays and Tuesdays are inauspicious for booking tickets to South-East.

My problem with her is that although I might agree with her, I would have loved it if she had expressed some sort of sympathy for my herpes which anyone who had it knows. Her logic always gets the better of her sentiments. She is so adamantly scientific in her dealings.

So, I thought why not ask her beforehand to fix a suitable date and time for our Final Journey from KGP to Gudur after retirement...who knows?

She consulted her calender, almanac, my horoscope, and my son's and wife's and fixed October 28. I also asked her and booked the tickets on a day and time considered auspicious by her.

It bombed.

After seeing off the luggage in a mighty truck, we were trapped in the Guest House at KGP for a week because there was a mighty cyclone with what the weathermen fondly called a rare 'earth-worm depression' extending from Chennai to Calcutta. Our train got canceled and we had to finally fly to Hyderabad since Chennai airport was closed.

And I sank into depression, not of the weather variety but the mental thing.

Ten months later when I met her at Gudur, and tried confronting her microcausal science, she smiled and replied:

"I knew you would ask this taunting question and looked up the almanac and found that your date and time of dispatch of your luggage truck were completely screwed up because Rahu was looking down maliciously at you."

Ladies can be pretty convincing with their logic...

All this came up today because there is a charming Independence Day news item in DC:

The lady CM of Tamilnadu is the smartest of all politicians I have seen...and I include poor Indirajee in this list.

Here is the news item:

"The TN CM avoided the inauspicious rahukalam to hoist the national tricolour at 9.30 am, an hour behind the time nationally followed for the solemn cermony.

The rahukalam falls between 7.30 am and 9 am on Monday and religious persons usually avoid doing anything important during this time. Since this is the first Independence Day after coming to power, the Chief Minister did not wish to hoist the tricolour during rahuklam, sources said.

They said the public department in the secretariat had sent a communication to all the district collectors a couple of days back instructing them to hoist the flag at 9.30 am and not the usual 8.30 am."

My mom would beat any lady CM hands down any day...since she also knows all about varjyam, yamagandam, vaarashula, tarabalam, chandrabalam and more...

I salute her as I always lose to her...my faith in my Physics never equaled hers in her causality... 



...Posted by Ishani
**************************************************************************************************
***

No comments: