Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dus Saal Baad

************************************************************************************************************


From:


 "A couple of days after DV's visit, I was gathering a lot of wool over a cup of Tea under the Mango Tree in front of the Coop Canteen. Yogesh came and sat by my side. I asked him where he was heading. He said he hadn't decided yet. Got offers from MIT, Harvard, Caltech and wherever he applied. PGM tho! Exchanged a few words after a long time. He wished me Happy Retirement and I a Happy Future.

This young chap was in my First Jumbo Class in 2000. As I said, by my tricks I saw to it that only about 120 attended the Class and they were all there to improve their grades. And I converted it into a BIG Tutorial Class. 120 Humming Bees! I used to walk up and down the aisle supervising their work. Yogesh would take the aisle seat and catch me whenever I pass by him and ask a penetrating question. And I would tweet the answer. He would nod his head and fall silent.

A couple of days later, there were complaints from his classmates; they could hear my answer, but not his question. I appreciated their agony working back from answer to its question. It so happened that the AV Cell put an ugly cell-phone-sized transmitter in my pocket and clipped the mike to my shirt. So that my hands could be free. I told them that I am no Hemamalini dancing Bharat Natyam Mudras with my hands. And got the damn thing replaced by the old-fashioned push-mike transmitter. Then onwards, I could push the thing in front of Yogesh when he asked; and in front of my mouth when I replied: much like the NDTV hosts. 

Problem solved.

I never attended the Senate, but used to go through its Minutes minutely (pun intended). And at the beginning of every Semester, the Director used to congratulate the 10-pointers and record it in the Senate Minutes. Yogesh's name was ever there heading the list every Semester (like Abu Ben Adhem?). To look at him you would never guess. He looked so boyish but his eyes betrayed. 

One doesn't have to be brash to show off."

**********************************************************************

From

KGP Connection-IIT Kharagpur 

KGPian Yogesh Ramadass (BTech/2004/EC/RP) is nominated by the Annual Creativity in Electronics (ACE) Awards 2013. He is the finalist under the category Innovator of the Year. He is nominated for designing energy-management ICs for energy harvesting and self-powered systems, pushing the boundaries of traditional power management systems down to the nano-power range. The energy-management IC allows electronic systems to be powered from ambient energy, without the need for batteries. This will create an eco-system for the emerging market and enable wider adoption of self-powered products.


Yogesh is an electrical design engineer at Texas Instruments and
his specialties are Analog and mixed-signal
circuit design, DC-DC converters, energy harvesters, power management, low-power circuits. After completing his BTech from IIT-KGP in Electronics & Electrical
Communication Engg in the year 2004, he
pursued his MS and PhD
from Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. At IIT-KGP, he was the boarder of RP Hall and the recipient of prestigious President Gold Medal.

Yogesh was trained in Advanced VLSI Laboratory at IIT-KGP. His thesis was "Wideband Transceiver Modules Using Distributed Structures in CMOS" and advisors were Prof. Nirmal B. Chakrabarti and Prof. Anindya S. Dhar. Advanced VLSI Design Laboratory facilitates world class research in design, test and CAD. The Lab has established design and verification flows using standard EDA tools from Cadence, Synopsys, Mentor. A number of thrust areas have now emerged based on core competency available in the Institute. These include analog and RF circuits, wireless communication and Baseband processing, direct conversion receivers, power management circuits, processors and IP cores for embedded applications and design for test-ability.  Apart from the large number of publications, students have also won regular awards in major design contests. 

Faculty members have also taken up state-of-the-art collaborative research with many industries like National Semiconductors, Sun, Synopsys, Intel and IBM. The laboratory also offers regular intensive training to students of IIT Kharagpur on design and CAD. "I am very thankful for the great support to IIT-KGP’s VLSI lab. It has helped lay the foundation of many circuit engineers I know from KGP", says Yogesh.

Ramadass is an avid tennis player and he does not miss a single New England Patriots game.


************************************************************************************************************

No comments: