Saturday, June 13, 2015

Apology

*********************************************************************************************************************************











This post is an apology and explanation to the handful of regular readers of this blog who have kept my tails up for over 8 years now through thick and thin off and on.

For forty years as a physics teacher at IIT KGP, all I did was to have continual intellectual fun which was suddenly denied to me after retirement. But I discovered daily blogging some nonsense piece or the other cured my depression. And it was fun for 6 years. But by then I was getting too tired and feeling empty. And I stopped blogging for a couple of months.

One day, Professor Manasi Sinha (retired Professor of English at IIT KGP) saw my blogs and started reading all the back numbers, giving me sumptuous feedback. I then felt that I should re-blog a couple of hundred of old posts suitably edited and adorned with cartoons stolen from the net.  

That kept me busy for about six months by when I got tired again.

Now I am here, single and unemployed, trying to find a challenging hobby that keeps me from mischief.

And suddenly I discovered that creating verses in my mother tongue, Telugu, which I forgot for all of 60 years, was both fun and truly challenging. So I reverted to Telugu versification, mostly satire on current events...politics in India is a daily feed for cartoonists and folks like me who can't draw but can write somewhat.

I know that a handful of readers who have enjoyed my blogs are now unhappy since they don't know Telugu.

And I can't translate these fun verses into English, however hard I try...the idiom and prosody are so alien to English. And Google Translator is of little use...here is Dr Shamik Gupta on the subject:



"....Google translate made a big mess translating from Telegu what you had written for Sonooji and his mother...."


I don't know how long this spell will last, but there it is!!!
     

Sorry!





...Posted by Ishani

***************************************************************************************************************************************

No comments: