Friday, August 27, 2010

Going..Going...Gone!

===============================================

This is a sequel to my previous post: "Copycats"

********************************************************************

The last sentence of that post reads:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"I had never been a student at KGP except for one paper in Complex Variables for my Ph D qualifiers. How I copied in the midsem and endsem exams of that paper, I will sell, but not blog for free.

Any takers?"


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$


Within minutes I got this mail from Saswat:

Dear Sir,

Is it an invitation for bids in your latest blog :) , because I will be happy to. Let the bids start!

My bid: $20 ( this is around what PRL charges per article)

$$

gps: No, Saswat, I don't deal in Money. It wasn't 'bidding', but the 'queue discipline' (an Industrial Management Jargon) is: 'First Come First Serve'.

So, you get to know my secret technique.

But before you read this on, promise me that you would compose an 'original' (no copycat here) limerick on gps and post it as a 'Comment' on this blog.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here is the lowdown:

'R' (for Ramanujam) was a brilliant student of Math Dept. In his first year, he failed in Physics. Late one night before he was to be shunted out of IIT for not securing the requisite minimum CGPA, he came to me and requested me to convert the 'F' grade into one that would let him stay.

And he produced an Affidavit from the Court of his Subordinate Judge (not one of those copycats) at Kumbakonam that he was the great-grand-nephew of the famous 'R' after whom he was named.

You know that I am a sucker for this type of South Indian Brahmins who are wizards in Math.

He said he would be eternally grateful to me.

And he WAS!!!

It just happened that a decade later when I was taking my Qualifiers in Complex Variables (I was a late-Kate as you know), he was the senior-most Post-Doc of the very same Professor who was forcing me to take his mid- and end- sem exams.

And as his senior-most Post-Doc he had the run of his Professor's Office.

CB should have asked me: I would have given him a better plot for his "5. Everyone".

GUL!!!



===============================================

2 comments:

Unknown said...

CB will again cry - this time because someone has copied from his plot and then shamelessly claiming "CB should have asked me: I would have given him a better plot". Anyways, this gul was nice reading. I suggest people should read the blog "SDM: The qualifiers" by (the same) Prof. Sastry to know how he passed his SDM qualifiers gloriously.

saswat said...

Dear Sir,
As promised, here it is - the GPS Limerick:

I know of a great man from Nellore
Who I thought knew Physics galore;
But now that he blogs,
and his blogging leapfrogs,
He amazes with the wisdom he has in store!