Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Last Call & Feedback

Proofs of the booklet are in, and have been corrected just now. Copies will be delivered by this weekend. Mailing will be on coming Monday.

Then on, I will be out of
Hyderabad, at my mom's place, for an unknown length of stay, and may be out of e-mail and blogging.

Interested Degree recipients (not 'piece of Diploma', DQ!), kindly rush your mailing addresses prompto.

As I wrote earlier, the Contents of the booklet titled: "Granpa's Tall Tales" are free from Physics, except the one piece: Spin; Physics being my Business while Stories are my Pleasure [I think I repeated several times one of Sam Weller's many quips: "Business first, pleasure arterwards, as King Richard the Third said wen he stabbed t'other king in the Tower, afore he smothered the babbies." ]


***********************************************************************

Sending his mailing address, Dr DQ quotes the funny line:

"I hereby declare that to the best of my knowledge this is an original, unpublished, widely discussed folktale".

I must say that folktales bear any number of original repetitions, in speech, song and in writing: the originality is in the way they are said or written.

To give a first person example, some time ago, 'A' was saying that he would 'rip' one of my 350 blogpieces to include in an anthology of original stories he and his friends are compiling. And he must have been wondering which one to pick.

Then came: "Bharavi's Atonement".

His decision was instantly made: "Bharavi was fantastic (indeed is a riot, Saswat beat me to that expression, though).. I am thinking of ripping this one from your blog for my intended anthology".


And to think that Bharavi's story must have been told, sung, dramatized, maybe filmed, and rewritten dozens of times!

****************************************************************

Varun posted 2 comments on: 'Near & Dear'. Some thoughts:

1. Regarding incest the most famous historical example is, in my opinion, Cleopatra marrying two of her brothers, apart from many others including Julius Caesar and Mark Antony. The custom of sisters marrying brothers appears to be common and approved in the Royal family of ancient
Egypt.

But, she bore no kids to her brothers though; only to others!

2. A nice collection of witty insults; about half of them new to me. Enjoyed them.

I had several months of fun browsing the most wonderful website:

www.twainquotes.com

Hundreds of Mark Twain quotations, with beautiful photos and pictures!

*******************************************************************

Saswat wonders: "The Reco Mela never ends..."


There is one more post: "Reco Mela - 5" in the offing, maybe tomorrow!

This will figure among others TRR, one of my best Project students. His Project gave us my longest and second-most-satisfying paper in AJP (on EFT's Spacetime Software).


He went to the
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, around 1989 and did his Ph D there. He published papers in PRL, some on his own, during that stint...amazing!


**************************************************************

As I said, the most beautiful thing in life is that children and students forgive their parents and teachers.


PoLtS has done that; and his copy of my elementary "Optics & QM" Lecture Notes is now on its flight to
Cal.





No comments: