Friday, October 8, 2010

Reading & Seeing

===========================================================================

Whenever I read a Book and then saw its Film, the Film looked like its disappointing caricature.

Whenever I saw a Film, and then tried to read its Book, the Book looked like its disappointing caricature.

There was a time when I read all of Alistair Maclean, except The Guns of Navarone. I happened to see this Film at a tender age (one of my first color films). I was so impressed by it that I saw it at least half a dozen times in its fortnight run: I was a Research Scholar then at Waltair, floating in money and leisure. The vast blue sea, the Hollywood Technology, the Cast of Gregory Peck (Dev Anand's idol), David Niven, Anthony Quinn...all of whom were suddenly household words, the climax...everything was perfect.

I then decided that I will never read the Book; and I stuck to it (someone told me that there is NO girl in the book: it was all-male; while we had the fabulously kissable...ask Gregory Peck... Gia Scala in the film...that settled it).

All his other Books I read and refused to see their Films, except one which I was forced to because I was trapped in a sudden downpour near Connaught Place in Delhi outside a Cinema Hall and walked in. It turned out to be Where Eagles Dare. Everything was perfect (with the latest Surround Sound) but I walked out as soon as rain let up.

Same with the several Ian Fleming Books I read and refused to watch their James Bond Film Versions and vice versa.

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice was one of the first Romances I read early on and never saw the Movie. Same with Dickens, Sherlock Holmes, Wodehouse and a few more.

These are of course on the lighter side.

My realization of this came to me early in life with a Book that I read in school at 13 that made the first and lasting impression on me.

My HM father felt that since I would be quitting home in a month I should read what he felt was topical: a Book that began with a scene in which a father sees off his son: the proverbial nestling flying out of its nest.

The Book is a Condensed Edition of Tom Brown's School Days set in the 1850s Rugby School. Someone said that the British Empire was built on the playgrounds of Public Schools of England.

The Book became my Personal Treasure.

There were a few line drawings: the first one: see-off to Tom Brown by his father and the last when Tom returns to his alma mater when he learns that his HM Dr Thomas Arnold passed away and he stands with his cap in his hands and head bowed at the Rugby Chapel.

And a few more in between.

Then I made my cardinal mistake of enthusiastically seeing the Film later in life.

The Film must have been excellent and must have moved many kids who saw it before they read the Book; but for me it was a punishment.

And I learned my lesson...

I happened to buy RKN's Guide and before I could read it saw the Hindi Film. Whatever RKN's feelings, Shailendra's lyrics, S D Burman's music, his own songs and those of Lata, Rafi, Kishore, Manna De (?); and the Tabla....a revelation to me although I am by definition RKN's Non-Musical Man.

The Book lies unopened for the past 40 odd years...you are welcome!

******************************************************************************

This train of thoughts is due to a kind invite I recently had to visit London:

******************************************************************************

Dr G Gopal Rao, MD OBE: (London):

Dear Prabhakara Sastry Garu:

....Thank you ever so much for sending me the two delightful books. I am truly honoured. I have enjoyed them thoroughly. My delay in acknowledging the receipt of the books is because I was deliberately reading a few pages at a time to savour them and make the books last longer. You have such a perceptive mind and an uncanny ability to view seemingly ordinary situations from a humorous angle. The other day I read out a few passages to my friend, Batty - both of us rolled over with laughter. Batty insisted that I lend the book to him. I will make certain that he returns it to me for I intend to dip into it every time I need a good laugh!

......It will be great if you and family could visit us in London next summer. I could show you some of PGW's world!

Congratulations once again.....................


**************************************************************************

Pratik:

Dear gps,


.....That was a grand invitation but if I have read you correctly I don't think
you would travel to London to see PGW's world!..........

****************************************************************************
gps: Pratik read me correctly.

****************************************************************************

gps:

Dear Dr Gopal Rao:

"......I am gladdened by your wonderful offer of hospitality in London. Unfortunately I don't even have a passport and it is now too late in the day.

But I do live in London and know my mythical London like the back of my palm, from 221 Baker Street via Piccadilly Circus to the Billingsgate Fish Market....".

*******************************************************************************

Post Script: A couple of Serious Comments are now there in the Serious Stuff post:

http://gpsastry.blogspot.com/2010/10/serious-stuff.html



============================================================================

No comments: