Thursday, December 2, 2010

Flow

======================================================

During our extended youth, there was a Tennis Star called Bjorn Borg.

Those were the silly days of Rally Tennis. Anything like 50 Exchanges between the opposing players were the norm. (I have a suspicion that my wife used to Count them, like she used to count the number of wagons in a goods train when we were stuck at Puri Gate Railway Crossing and announce proudly: 87).

Very unlike the later Power Tennis slam-bang of Pete Sampras (my favorite).

Borg said once that when he gets going (into maybe his 100th rally) he felt a spiritual sort of Flow (of soul?).

When I joined IIT KGP as an Associate Lecturer in Physics at 21, I soon discovered that if you talk sense in the Lecture Hall, IITians listen.

Then on for 40 years I once in a while used to get a sensation like what Borg said he got...a sort of Flow when things were going rather well. It is a sense of Power...

I missed it as soon as I retired and got all the withdrawal symptoms.

It took about 3 years for me to get back that feeling when a blog piece happens to be going well while composing...it feels like the good old Flow.

The other day I happened to compose a piece titled: Half Tricks, and was feeling my oats while posting it.

Teernajee, a Central School student of maybe Class 8 says it is the best piece of all...she should know.

=======================================================

No comments: