Friday, December 3, 2010

GoogleGul

========================================================

The latest Ishani booklet (75 pages) bristles with references and wholesale quotations.

Here is a short list:

1. Alice in Wonderland; 2. Alice Through The Looking Glass; 3. Tompkins in Wonderland; 4. Sherlock Holmes; 5. Mills & Boon; 6. Shudraka's Mricchakatika; 7. James Thurber; 8. Mark Twain; 9. Hamlet; 10. Julius Caesar; 11. Shakespeare Sonnets; 12. As You Like It; 13. Antony & Cleopatra; 14. Robert Browning; 15. Jim Corbett; 16. Holy Bible; 17. Oliver Wendell Holmes; 18. Pickwick Papers; 19. R K Narayan; 20. Wodehouse; 21. Omar Khayyam; 22. Ramayan & Mahabharat; 23. Iliad; 24. Ramana Maharshi; 25. Three Men in a Boat

***************************************************************************************************

The booklet is meant for those of my elder generation and some younger who are unaware of the Net, Google, and even MS Word.

You can well imagine the terrific impression I generated.

I even wonder at times what my late Father and Uncle who taught me English assiduously inside and outside the Class Room would feel if this booklet is suddenly thrust into their hands. They never saw a Computer and hadn't heard of Copy-Paste.

They would surely think:

1. That I read a lot
2. I have a vast collection of books
3. I took about 3 years to write, type and get the booklet printed
4. I must be someone they ought to be proud of and show off to their Heavenmates

"So sorry, sirs, to have duped you: I read about a fiftieth of English that you did".

Rest is Google (like Hamlet's quote: Rest is Silence)

That brings us to Shakespeare:

Mani Sankar Aiyyar was rather honest. He said that all the Shakespeare he learned was from Jeeves:

****************************************************************************************

Friday, March 6, 2009

A little dishonesty is BRITISH!


"Most Britons falsely claim to have read Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' ": Report


I too tried 'Peace and War',
Found it an unreadable bore;
But I read all of Shakespeare
Songs & Sonnets & King Liar.

But, most I love my Bertie,
Shaken to his foundations;
He said with honesty,
"Hamlet's full of Quotations"


*******************************************************************************************

The other day I wrote my Last Will and Testament which had this quote:

*****************************************************************************

Who steals my purse steals trash;
'tis something, nothing;

'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;

But he that filches from me my good name

Robs me of that which not enriches him,

And makes me poor indeed.


Othello Act 3, scene 3, 155–161


*************************************************************************

Sonoo and Sailaja knew I stole it from Google; but my wife was terribly impressed; which is what matters {;-}

***************************************************************************

The latest Ishani booklet has a wonderful Foreword by Pratik which has this delightful quote from Multatuli:

"And then there shall be in the land some who welcome him with love, who lay their hands on his head, and say: Sit down with us to meat, live with us in our house, and share all that we have, for I have known your father".

I at once Googled for Multatuli and found that he was a Dutch Colonial Officer who rebelled against Colonialism and his Latin pen-name means: I Have Suffered Much.

I immediately felt that Pratik was the Owl Who Was God.

I gently asked him about this heartwarming quote.

He said he found it in his late Father's Diary.


QED


=========================================================

No comments: