Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lower Court & Higher Court

====================================================================

In all of my 40 years at IIT KGP, I must have attended a couple of dozen Farewell Functions. But went to the dais and spoke a couple of sentences only in two of these.

I have already blogged about the few words I spoke in Dr Chitnis' Farewell:

http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2012/03/gupshup.html

The other is in Prof Sikand's (MSS) Farewell. Both '2-sentence-speeches' were unprepared and spontaneous.

Prof BC was the HoD when MSS retired. And BC, in his Presidential Remarks, said that SDM (my Guide) used to say that he (SDM) was the Higher Court and MSS was the Lower Court. What SDM meant was that folks with doubts and questions in Classical Mechanics should approach MSS first; and disturb him only if MSS fails to satisfy them.

Since I trained under SDM for 5 years and MSS for 15 years, I went to the dais and said that I am the only person in the Universe who was fortunate to attend the Lower as well as the Higher Courts.

MSS told me that when SDM joined IIT KGP with the huge 'claptrap' of being the Best Brain in Bengal, he wanted to test SDM by approaching him humbly with 'doubts' which were really wicked viva traps designed by him. And found that SDM never gave a wrong answer...although he could not always come up the right answer. And certified that SDM's intuition in Physics was as terrific as his mastery in Math.

Both of them are away 'elsewhere' now and I often enjoy the recollection of my times with them. And I was fortunate to write that Homage to SDM which was enjoyed by many youngsters at KGP:

http://www.phy.iitkgp.ernet.in/ansatz3/sdm.html

And now it is my 'thing of joy' that a short blog I posted long long ago titled: Sikand's Precept:

http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2010/01/sikands-precept.html

caught the attention of his daughter Minu:

http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2012/04/she-made-my-day.html

And totally unexpectedly it has gone 'viral' and turned out to be the most widely read post of mine...a position held so far by:

http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2010/08/reco-mela-2.html

And so, in a sense, I have been able to repay my debts of gratitude to my two 'teachers' at IIT KGP...the Lower as well as the Higher Courts.

While I was composing this piece, a new Comment arrived on the post: Sikand's Precept:

gautam said...

Respected Sir,

I just discovered your blog from a IIT KGP friends Facebook update and I am very happy to have located this. I have read your post regarding Prof. Sikand. I never had the chance of interacting with him or be his student. But I know this that you were one of my most inspiring teachers and guide and if Prof. Sikand has inspired you then all my respects to him.

Today I am a theoretical physicist because several of my teachers inspired me with their commitment, courage and example and above all with a vision of unparalleled beauty that was so addictive and you Sir was one of the most prominent of all these legendary teachers.

It is said that the debt of Parents and Teachers can never be repaid. But I think otherwise, there is a way to repay this debt and that is to carry on their commitment conviction and impart their vision of beauty to your own students. I am happy Sir that I am able to do this.

With my sincerest regards and respect

Your's Gautam

Gautam Sengupta
Dept. of Physics
IIT Kanpur
208016

*****************************************************************************************

My Cup of Joy is Full...because, as Gautam says, the debt of parents and teachers can never be fully repaid. But, thanx to the 'new media' as they say, where there are no referees and editors to bug you, it turns out possible to proclaim your irredeemable debts loudly to whosoever cares to hear them.


Hail Blogosphere!
We've no Referees here
Nor those goofy Editors
We stand or fall by our Readers

Hail Blogosphere!



======================================================================

No comments: