Friday, July 26, 2013

Relativity in Hyderabad

************************************************************************************************************


When I retired and tried relocating in Hyderabad, it was a nightmare for me. For 40 years I had been living in the rural environs of the campus at IIT KGP and the transition was like from bachelorhood to marriage...it needed expertise, guts and pluck.

I brought my Maruti 800 to Hyderabad and was looking at it siting forlorn in its parking place in our apartment block. And it looked an unwieldy white elephant.

At first I tried walking on the nonexistent sidewalks in my locality. And felt that the autowallas were a real nuisance.

Then I started riding autos and felt that the hooting cars on the road were the real nuisance.

Then I started riding on the APSRTC buses and felt that the autowallas were the real nuisance. 

Then slowly and slowly I made bold and started driving my Maruti on the roads in the second gear and felt that the autowallas and pedestrians and the APSRTC buses and trucks were the real nuisance...they don't obey any rules. 

Nowadays I sit in the front seat beside my D-i-L when she drives our Maruti to the bus stop at 7.30 in the mornings. And feel the yellow school buses are the real devils.

And when I drive back at 8 to our place, I know what exactly is the real nuisance on the roads of Hyderabad...it is the never-ending herd of buffaloes.

They are the real showstoppers...everyone has to pause till they are pleased and propitiated...even the five star jumbo truckers.








***********************************************************************************************************

No comments: