Sunday, July 28, 2013

Title Deeds

************************************************************************************************************

 



India is a crazy country and I love it for that.

Of late there has been a lot of fun...a Bharat Ratna being asked to return his Ratna title forthwith...and the Ratna  saying no to the demand.

The gentleman involved is not a politico but a professor. 

Professor H. N. Bose, the great man who recruited me to IIT KGP as an Associate Lecturer in Physics in 1965...I don't know why...told me once that the highest honor a teacher can get is a professorship...meaning not a Dean or a Deputy Director or even a Director.

When I retired and tried settling down in Hyderabad, we happened to rent into a residential complex whose occupants were all retired judges, engineers, managers and such august personalities.

The evening I was coming out of our gate for some shopping, I was accosted by a good old gent, senior to me by a decade as it turned out. He looked at me and abruptly asked:

"Can you follow English?"

to which I naturally demurred.

And he introduced himself saying:

"I am a Chief Engineer...not a Cheap Engineer like these chaps nowadays"

I kept quiet and after incessant probing I had to reveal that I am a retired professor from an IIT and my wife is an MD and my son is an alumnus of IIT KGP working as a Project Manager in an IT firm.

That pleased him and he mellowed down and there flourished a friendship of sorts between us.

One day he suddenly asked me how I write my name.

And I was taken aback and said: "G. P. Sastry"

And he said:

"Everyone who retired here as teachers write their names: 'Professor so and such', although they worked in junior colleges all their lives."

I had no answer to that.

And then I recalled that when I joined IIT KGP there was a Netaji Auditorium, a Bhatnagar Auditorium and a Raman Auditorium. And a Nehru Hall, an Azad Hall, a Vidyasagar Hall, a Sarojini Naidu Hall and several landmarks like that without any honorifics. 

And then there sprung up a Vinod Gupta School, a G. S. Sanyal School and a dozen like them named for their donors or their mentors.

There was just one eyesore which lay right on my way to the perpetual canteen. And whenever I saw it I shuddered.

It was named, prominently, on a wooden board:

"Professor S. N. Bose Auditorium"

And I always felt it ought to have just read:

"S. N. Bose Auditorium"

Somehow the title "Professor" looked demeaning our physicist who is more famous for his Bosons.

RKN would surely call it a vandalism.


***********************************************************************************************************

No comments: