Monday, October 12, 2015

Godliness

*******************************************************************************************************************************************











This nice senior citizen, B, was observing me silently for three months while I was sitting alone and quiet for hours on my favorite lawn bench. 

One morning he couldn't contain himself and approached me. He stood in front of me for a second, folded his hands in a pronam, and said:

"When I look at you, I see God in you"

And left.

For the next 24 hours I was most happy since this is one compliment I never got from anybody except students hoping for divine recos. 

And I was no longer avoiding looking into my shaving mirror.

After a few days, another senior citizen, S, who had successfully crossed my repulsive barrier earlier and got chatty with me, sat beside me. 

And we saw B plucking flowers for his Puja (a thing frowned upon by our upcountry fellow residents). 

And I couldn't contain myself and said to S:

"B says he sees God in me"

S laughed and replied:

"Oh, did he? He said that to me too and I was happy for a whole day. Then I got to know that he says this to everyone...it is his opening gambit"

Sigh!



...Posted by Ishani

************************************************************************************************************************************************

No comments: