Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Nostalgia is Nice

************************************************************************************************************************







As I get older (and my 74th birthday is now close), I get deeper and deeper into nostalgia. I do not fight this, because nostalgia seems to me to be rational. Things really aren't what they once were.  "But people have always said that," is often the response. Yes, and for the most part, I maintain people have always been right.



gps: Well, that is not me speaking. It is a quote from N.M. Gwynne, author of Gwynne's Grammar. Typical excerpt from the book:

"She is washing in boiling water yesterday's washing in the washing machine that she uses for washing clothes."

What parts of speech (including the grammatical part of any verb) are "boiling" and each instance of "washing"?


...The Spectator in DC Page 14 Wednesday 21 October 2015


  


...Posted by Ishani

*************************************************************************************************************************

No comments: