Friday, July 2, 2010

Secret Life of gpsastry

==================================

1. One gloomy morning when I was getting deeply worried about this helmet business, I took a couple of swigs of Hippocrene and entered my bath tub, opened the tap, and as water started swirling around my tummy I suddenly started losing weight!

"EUREKA!"

2. Another evening I was looking closely at my 'planet charts' and tried to make some sense of all that mess, what with only the Sun and the Fixed Stars going around me in circles, but all these wandering planets going crazily in circles on circles called 'epicycles' by that fool. I tried putting the Sun at the Center and redrawing the figures: My Goodness! All planets are circling and I too am a planet!

"Shut up! Want to be killed by Church a la Bruno?"

3. I ran way from London to escape being hit by plague and got hit on the head by that Adam's Apple. Suddenly I felt that I am going to be hit on my head next by that falling loony thing; with the same Universal G!

"Run! Take shelter in home!"

4. One morning at Cambridge I was fiddling with those Coulomb, Ampere, Faraday things and all at once that product of that Electrical thing and that Magnetic thing gave me this Light thing!

"Let there be Street Lights switched on in London!"

5. Another evening in Copenhagen I was getting worried about this Balmer series. And tried some nonsense postulates. And lo, and behold! That weird combination of e, c, h, m and stuff gave me the Rydberg Constant! And the Lyman, Paschen, Pfund and all else!

"Where has that Einstein gone? Fooling around again with those senseless tensors!"

6. This Term Zoology was bugging me till I realized that this pq minus qp is giving me that ih!

"Let me quickly do some Thought Experiments before Whittaker gives it to Hilbert this time!"

7. Fooling around in eating joints with plates and dishes flying around, I was sickening for some clean fun. And just thought 'Let me take that electron and make it go backward in time'. And there were all these little little arrows on the floor getting all the perturbation series terms in one swoop!

"O, what is the use? That Bohr is going to give it all away to that Schwinger in that Island!"

8. It is now one hour that I am standing here and wondering about all those ugly CG Tables. Arrre Baba!

"Eta tho hypergeometric function hoye jacchey!"

"Naa sir! Khoob mishti
meye hoyeche!"

9. One morning in my Boarding House in Boston 150 years ago I was talking thus about deja vu on our Breakfast Table and this is what happened:

****************************************

"ALL AT ONCE A CONVICTION FLASHES THROUGH US THAT WE HAVE BEEN IN
THE SAME PRECISE CIRCUMSTANCES AS AT THE PRESENT INSTANT, ONCE OR
MANY TIMES BEFORE."

O, dear, yes!--said one of the company,--everybody has had that feeling.

The landlady didn't know anything about such notions; it was an idee in folks' heads, she expected.

The schoolmistress said, in a hesitating sort of way, that she knew the feeling well, and didn't like to experience it; it made her think she was a ghost, sometimes.

The young fellow whom they call John said he knew all about it; he had just lighted a cheroot the other day, when a tremendous conviction all at once came over him that he had done just that same thing ever so many times before. I looked severely at him, and his countenance immediately fell--ON THE SIDE TOWARD ME; I cannot answer for the other, for he can wink and laugh with either half of his face without the other half's knowing it.

===================================

No comments: