Saturday, September 24, 2011

Frog Party

==========================================================================









For almost 3 decades at IIT KGP, DB used to live in a dilapidated Quarters close to the Tech Market...well, that proximity to the Tech Market was its only attraction. DB never owned a vehicle and was too lazy to morning walk and that explains why he chose to live near the Market...one has to get up early and run if one wants the best fish in the Market which the early worm alone gets...and the glint in his eye when he talked about the hilsa he grabbed over the head of a dozen contenders almost equaled his narrative of the latest hypergeometric function that came up out of the blue.

The dozen or so of such Qrs that nestled in the vicinity of the Tech Market can be termed the Amphibian Enclave. For, however many Summer Nor'Westers hit KGP, nothing happens...but, come the First of July (BCR's Birthday) which heralds the advent of the sumptuous KGP Monsoon, the Enclave suddenly wakes up to its nightlong welcome...a million frogs and fraulins singing their hearts out.

The remarkable feature of this Frog Party Cacophony is that everyone is singing, but no one is listening.

DB was all excited one Friday evening, because he was going to Cal to attend a Reunion of their Class of '64 after 3 decades. And he was talking about the Dattas, Guptas, Chowdhuries, Banerjees, Chatterjees and Ghoshes....all his bosom pals whom he was looking forward to meet and exchange worldlines.

But the Monday morning after the Party, he was dull, morose, not willing to speak...till I took him to the Canteen and fed him two cups of hot chai and charminars.

He then let out that the Reunion recalled the Tech Market Frog Party sans its divine music: everyone was keen on talking about himself and his achievements and no one was willing to listen to his prepared talk on SDM and Gel'fand...on the other hand the only fond nostalgia they indulged in with him was how DB missed his Rank because of their Nuclear Physics and Spectroscopy Labs...

And he cautioned me to never attend any Reunion of Classmates.

He need not have worried.




Here is a typical phone call I receive in Hyderabad once in a while:

"Is it gps speaking? Oh, well, you b*****d! What is it that I hear that you never come to our Reunions at the Potti Sriramulu University?...Yes, I heard that you were not well...Neither am I, but I religiously visit Hyderabad whenever I am in India and host a Party to all our batchmates who are settled here...no, I live in LA, but I do visit my home country every year...well, it is not all patriotism, I have a couple of real estate and business interests in Hyderabad...US is a great place to live and work in, but your money doesn't grow there...no, you should buy your own home and not waste on rentals...I have a couple of friends here who can help you...yes, I always thought you made a great mistake in joining an IIT...my cousin at IIT Bombay tells me that IITs are meant for Engineers, and Science chaps are looked down upon as second class citizens...yes, I left Physics as soon as I could and did an M Tech in Electronics...yes, Germany, Japan and then the blessed US...no, I don't work, people work for me...I own a couple of firms, all doing well...no, the recession didn't hit me hard...I don't keep all my eggs in one basket...yes, I meet Murthy once in a while...he made a mistake in sticking to the East Coast...it is the West Coast that is the happening place...yes, my son and daughter are doing well, one at Cornell and the other in SF...no, you must ask your son to use his B1 visa and smuggle himself in...yea, there are health issues for me too...but I have good insurance and replaced several body parts...you must tell me all about yourself tomorrow...you are not coming? Strange...I can send my driver to pick you up from what is that place, Madinaguda...never heard of it...you folks wrote me off because I missed my First Class...but everyone in our batch peaked early...it is the post-M Sc that matters...yes, I met him...he says he had been to Antarctica on a scientific mission for six months...not a happy place to spend time...ok, I met her too...she is no longer the slim heart-throb she was...now she is twice as heavy as your TN CM..yes, her kids are settled in the US too...but in Boston...too much snowfall there...you are coming, no?...Did I tell you that they made me President of the local Telugu Chapter...well, someone has to take up these responsibilities...yes, they do eat into your time...but, you know, it is a pleasure to think that one is serving the Community...I will send you our brochure...my wife's picture adorns its cover...she is a darling...see you tomorrow then...pips!..."

************************************************************************************************************


Varun N. Achar has left a new comment on your post "Hyderabad Inc":Sir, reading this reminded me of your bhalobasha for bongo:

http://maami.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/a-gitanjali-for-the-gurudeb/

Enjoy!



=================================================================
===========

No comments: