Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sec'bad DP

========================================================================

Last night my son drove us to the oldest and biggest of the Bengali DPs in Secunderabad, held in the premises of Keys School.

And like Wordsworth, saw I ten thousand Bengali men, women and kids all dressed to kill, and felt at home.

I was mystified to find the tightest possible security...gate buzzers, police force from top to bottom, a couple of generator cars, a couple of fire-fighter trucks, ambulance vans, and a POLICE DOG!

And was wondering why Durga Mai needs so much protection in Secunderabad...afraid of Maoists, Taliban terrorists, Telengana activists?

No, she was as placid and victorious as ever; and as smiling...

I wondered if I lose my chappals, or swoon, or struck down, or my wallet stolen, all these Kings men and their trucks would help put me back together...

No, sir...the mystery was soon dispelled when there was a big hubbub and rush and brush and we were told over the mike that His Excellency, the Governor of AP, has just now arrived and would be inaugurating the DP for the fifth time in a row by lighting the same old brass lamps.

After he left, all the bandobust was relaxed and we had a great time watching, listening, and eating begunis, mirchi bhajas, samose, chat, loochies, misti doi, pakoras, chole bhature, and enjoying the sights and sounds of Bengal.

It was midnight by the time we returned and crashed.

Three more days of fun and eating out.

I go to DP pandals to listen to the dhakia...

========================================================================

No comments: