Sunday, March 10, 2013

Unwisdom - 3

************************************************************************************************************

uddhared atmanatmanam
natmanam avasadayet
atmaiva hy atmano bandhur
atmaiva ripur atmanah

 Bhagavad Gita 6.5


The next set of uncalled for advices amounting to impertinence can be labeled Dharmic Instructions. 

Recall that my reaction to all these words of (un)wisdom was a stark outward silence and inward curses.

An old and learned lady recited the Gita shlok quoted above whose import is that one should lift oneself up by one's bootstraps. 

Boot was my instant reaction.

Another lady chose to taunt me:

"You know the Gita and portions of the Upanishads by heart and yet..."

Another lady had this to say by way of sage advice:

"Don't breathe shallow...breathe deep...it is done by using the diaphragm actively and letting the stomach do the rest"

One more lady was more cheersome:

"Babajee is camping at Hyderabad right now. He is available to the lay public at the NTR Gardens between 9 and 12 in the mornings and 6 and 9 in the evenings"

Another gent was pressing my wife to bundle me and take me to the Rahu-Ketu temple in Kukatpalli and make me do the Navagraha Shanti Puja. My wife told him apologetically that her hubby doesn't believe in planetary influences (gravity being too weak a force). 

He then offered to get it done at Vijayawada in my name...very nice of him. But the catch is two-fold:

1. I have to partake the prosad he sends me thereafter by courier

2. I will have to pay the Rs 1000 that the Puja costs...otherwise it would be HE that gets the benefit

When my wife informed me of this delinquency I just stared at her and she withdrew.

And then there were people who offered me the Art of Living family of books free of cost...they were very nice people but didn't know I forgot how to read...




*************************************************************************************************************

No comments: