Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Bouquet of Old Cauliflowers - Repeat Telecast

**************************************************************************************







Varun was a little off the mark in his diagnosis that I must be senile (in his pseudo-limerick).

I find that it is my wife who is showing symptoms of senility while she says I am afflicted with pseudo-senility, an altogether different but related old-age disorder.



Senility: forgetting inconvenient things that happened (IOUs)

Pseudo-Senility: remembering convenient things that never happened (UOMees)


It is like this:

I distinctly recall my wife telling me a couple of days back that she read a news item saying England is recruiting Indians for teaching English (and Math) to their kids.

Now she flatly denies she ever said it.

But I also recall her asking me to send my Resume'.

But, I said, I am already doing my bit: in almost every blog I am inventing new and exotic words, grammar, usage, figure of speech, Needless Capitalization (vide Deutsche), punctuation, spelling, syntax and stuff to enrich English.

This is primarily because Blogspot's gul-stats daily adds more Audience of Non-English-Speaking-Countries to the list of dozen or so I posted earlier; e.g. Germany, France, Italy, Poland, Luxembourg, Moldova, Latvia...and perhaps Ruritania...

I mean there ought to be a limit.

This blogpost is therefore to express my deep indebtedness to Thomas Babington Macaulay (1800-1859).

For, it was he who insisted that for Indian kids the medium of instruction ought to be English rather than Sanskrit or Persian or worse.

But for him I wouldn't be blogging up custom today, nor my son drumming up custom for his Indian Company in the US right now.

To TBM we owe our Bread 'n' Butter & Fish 'n' Chips.

As a mark of Gratitude 'n' Respect I am taking the liberty of e-sending the following Bouquet of Old Cauliflowers to be laid at his Grave with Pomp 'n' Show.

[Knowledgeable readers would complain that I stole the Macaulay-Cauliflower pun from the Autocrat of the Breakfast Table: but his Copyright expired long ago. To those who have already scented these foul-smelling Macauliflowers, I suggest that they at once go to bed or work as the case maybe]. .




A Bouquet of Old Cauliflowers


1. Spider & Fly


A very old Spider
Said to the older Fly:
‘You can come nearer, dear,
My fiber’s gotten dry’;

Said the older Fly 

To the old Spider:
‘I can’t come nearer, dear,
I can no more FLY!’


*********************************************************************


2. Peacock



A very old Peacock
Couldn’t see in the dark;

He went to an Optician

To get a prescription;

Who charged a million rupees

For his thousand ‘eyes’!


***********************************************************************


3. Elephant


A very old Elephant
Went to a Dentist
To get a set of false teeth;

He told the Elephant:


‘You already have a set;

Very nicely bent
And made of Ivory’!


*************************************************************************


4. Woodpecker & Kingfisher


A very old Woodpecker
Said to the old Kingfisher:

‘My beak is getting blunter

The bark is getting tougher,
And I am suffering from hunger’;

Said the old Kingfisher

To the old Woodpecker:

‘I'm no longer the King here,

The fish are getting cleverer,
I too suffer from hunger’;

The latter stopped hunting fish,

The former poking for woodlice;

They both went to the Restaurateur,

Ordered some Bread 'n' Butter
And lived happily ever after!


********************************************************************


5. Government Bull


A very old Government Bull
No longer felt useful;

With Cows and Calves so youthful

He felt very miserable;

He went to the Gov't Hospital

And found this Placard; ‘House-Full’;

The Matron there was kind to him

And referred him to an Old Age Home;

There he felt merry and gay

With older Cows and heaps of Hay!



...Posted by Ishani


******************************************************************************************

No comments: