Sunday, August 10, 2014

Youngest Widow - Repeat Telecast

*************************************************************************************************************************









When I joined IIT KGP in 1965, there was this wonderful High School (HH) in our Campus, affiliated to the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. There was also a fledgling Central School affiliated to the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sanghatan (KV).


Most Professors were admitting their kids in HH and year after year a couple of kids from our HH used to top in various subjects at the State Level.

HH was following the system of the British Raj where a High Second Class with around 59% was as rare as a swan among geese.

KV was following the nascent system where you are a dud if you don't score 90%.

Still...HH ruled for various reasons.

For various other reasons, HH declined in popularity among Professors as KV rose and flourished by the time my son came up for schooling 30 odd years later (30 years is a long while).

So, this Prof K debated, demurred, and decided finally to admit his daughter in KV in the same Class as my son.

By and by spread rumors of a new rule that kids in schools not affiliated to WB Board would no longer be eligible to get admission into its Engineering and Medical Colleges.

Prof K was very close to me even though he was not in the Physics Department, because we happened to be teaching a Common Hotch-Potch Course.

He walked into my Office one fine morning and in an agitated tone asked me to sign a Common Petition to the relevant Court of Law that this sort of a rule is unjust and should be made legally null and void.

It so happened that there were two reasons that I was unwilling to sign it.

1. Our Conduct Rules forbid signing Mass Petitions...

2. My Uncle who was a Lawyer had advised and warned me to never go to a Court of Law...

So I was demurring while Prof K was provoking and taunting me....

Then I had to narrate to him this Chandamama Story:


Chandamama Story,1950s:


The Rich Man who died had 3 wives.

The Eldest Widow was embracing the Corpse and weeping and howling and cursing the Gods endlessly to the satisfaction of everyone around.

The Second Widow went one better and was asking everyone around to fetch a barber immediately so she could have her head tonsured as per strict orthodoxy (short of Sati, legally forbidden by William Bentinck under the influence of Raja Rammohun Roy).

The Cutest and Youngest Widow was in her usual dress and was watching the wailings, sitting largely unconcerned.

One Old Woman approached her and expressed her disapproval and asked the Youngest Widow why she was not joining the Elder Widows in their heart-rending Performances.

And got this cool reply:

"If their wailings bring their joint husband back to life, I too would cease to be a Widow automatically"....




Prof K listened to my story, got up to go, turned back at the door, and cursed me aloud:


Pox on you!!!

Our story however has a happy ending...both of our kids have done well in Life and Career...and Prof K remains my wonderful friend.

That Pox eludes me yet...



...Posted by Ishani

*******************************************************************************************************

No comments: