Monday, July 18, 2011

Pseudo-nostalgia

=========================================================================

The first time I read 'pseudo' and elicited a rare boisterous laugh from my HM Father was when I read 'pseudonym' aloud...I pronounced the 'p' emphatically...unlike Peasmith of PGW.

The next was when MSS taught me all about pseudo-forces in mechanics at IIT KGP.

The pseudo that looked very original was when two unknown kids from IIT KGP Phy Dept wrote:

"
Your article has once again stirred up that wishful pseudo-nostalgia in us!"

The article mentioned was my SDM Homage that was about to appear in Ansatz, their (extinct) webzine, as they called it.

Later on it was explained to me that real nostalgia is fond memories of an experienced past; while pseudo-nostalgia is fonder memories of a vicarious past, viz. a past others experienced and told you tall tales about.

That brings me to the genesis of this blog that has grown from an aquarium fish into a Loch Ness Monster.

The initial reaction to the SDM Homage from KGPhians (such as the pesudo-nostalgia it evoked) was so heart-warming that I wished to post a few sdmsnippets (now deleted it appears) on the web. And my son created this blogspot for me.

The usually sedate Sachin once was so taken by his latest century that he flamboyantly 'dedicated' it to Tiger Conservation.

My blogspot gul dashboard tells me that this is the 700th post.

Let me follow Sachin's example and dedicate these 7 centuries to the Conservation of KGPhians.

If at all there is a targeted audience for these tall tales it is the KGP Phy brood. Indeed a CSE lady reader complained to me of this 'focus'.

There was a time when KGP (Integrated) Physics was about to become extinct...there were not even the required minimum number of 4 JEE students opting for Physics...it was the local talent that saved and sustained it.

I do hope that such a crisis will never erupt in future.

Here is to KGPhians and their pseudo-nostalgia!

For, when everything is said and forgot, Physics remains one of the good things of life.

========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read that Integrated MSc at IIT Kanpur will now be extinct. From this year they have started a 4-year BS in Physics. Mumbai/Delhi/Chennai already have 4-yr B.Tech. in Engg Physics. On top of it IISc Bangalore has now started 4 year BS in sciences. Maybe time for KGP to rethink ?

G P Sastry (gps1943@yahoo.com) said...

Being the seniormost among all IITs, KGP had always had a mind of her own. Its Phy Dept never came in the way of those who wished to quit after four years, with their B Sc (Hons) degrees intact; and with glorious recos {;-}