Saturday, December 1, 2012

Joint Property

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************



Still Life


 


 *********************************************************************************************************

After my wife passed away, I was bewildered how to fill up the vacancy left in her half of our double cot(s) that she occupied for 33 years through thick and thin.

Several suggestions cropped up but I had an inspiration, sort of. That I should sleep broadside-on at one end of the two joined cots with the other half reserved for the playthings of Ishani and myself. 

That perhaps is the best thing that happened to me in recent times. For, Ishani, though she has a study-cum-toy room all for herself, is too young to stay there alone. So, she naturally gravitates to seek my company...I am always there lying down the whole day reading or composing blogs or gathering wool.

As and when she gets bored, she runs into my room, jumps on our bed bringing a toy or two that takes her fancy. She has grown enough that I don't have to engage her...she engages both me and herself...

The left-most stack of books in the picture above is topped by the paperback of PGW whose cover shows Gussie Fink-Nottle making an ass of himself in the 'Mating Season'. The tome below that is one of the two Malcolm Gladwell's gifted by Saswat (along with a $1 Note). The one below that is the Picador Amit Chaudhuri gifted by Varun when he recently visited us (from Canada) to look up Ishani. The book below that is a Ramanasramam Publication penned by my Late Shakespeare Uncle but, surprisingly, gifted to me by Prof Satyanarayana of IIT Madras (Phy) on my bereavement...my Uncle had lost his wife when he was 40.

The middle stack of books is topped by some Vedic Hymns Booklets published by Ramakrishna Math, Hyderabad, and gifted by my D-i-L's father (he is a retired Telugu Pundit). The fattest volume of all is Nehru's 'Glimpses of World History' I bought at Thackers twenty years ago for a throw-away price of Rs 100 (subsidized). 

The rightmost stack of books (partly seen) is topped by Amar Chitra Katha of 'Akbar and Birbal'. The two children's books below are by Roald Dahl gifted to Ishani by Anamika, daughter of Dipak Munshi. And the bottom tome is 'The Great Children's Stories' gifted to my son when he was a kid by Edwin & Carla in May 1990 (as good as new).

The rest are Ishani's movable property...her toys that travel to and fro.
 
Nothing could be a better arrangement....

**********************************************************************************************************

No comments: