Monday, August 26, 2013

Stealth Wealth

*************************************************************************************************************

 



"Could it really be done? Is it feasible?"

"Feasible? Why dash it, what the dickens is there to stop you? You could do it in a second. And the beauty of the whole thing is that, if you were copped, nobody could say a word, because husband pinching from wife isn't stealing. Law."

...PGW in Leave it to Psmith


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$


Mani Shankar Aiyar said that all the Shakespeare he knows he learned it from Jeeves.

Likewise I can say that all the Law I know I learned it from Freddie Threepwood...not much though.

Stealing diamond necklaces from wife is one thing...and stealing the so-called Intellectual Properties is quite another. 

There is this Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law at IIT KGP now...not during my time there though.

Sometime ago I was browsing the net fretfully to find a cute picture of Uggu Ginne (Jhinuk in Bengali according to Aniket). And luckily I found what I wanted in this blog:





And lifted it and posted it in my blog...with citation of course. I then wondered if it would lead to a court case against me. So I posted this comment on the said blog:



Great pics these!

Without your permission, but with attribution, I just now copy-pasted one of these pics in my today's blog:

http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2013/05/scopes-5.html

Thanx!

&&&&&&&

And forgot about it. And within minutes I got this nice mail:

It is okay sir!... you can remove the attribution link as well, no issues :)

Sree and Sreya 


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$


Nowadays I lift one cartoon a day from the net. And post it with citation. 

But the cartoons I lift are mostly copy-righted. So I often wonder if I am transgressing the copyright law and would land in a soup. So I browsed the law on the net and it says that 'single use...non-profit' lifting is ok with citation...or something like that.

Of course my blogs don't earn me any profit other than some fun. So I guess it is ok.

The other day I got a mail from an unseen friend saying that he liked my Homage to my Guide and Guru, SDM. And that he would be lifting some of its sentences and the verse from Guru Granth Sahib:


A hundred moons may blossom
A thousand suns may blaze
In this dazzling brilliance
Without my Guru, there is pitch darkness.


I wrote him back saying that I myself lifted the above verse, not from the Granth Sahib, but from a tribute an ex-student of repute paid me on my 60th B'Day...so if he does steal it, it would be a second-order stealing...go ahead...


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$


Cartoons, pictures and poems are one thing...and ideas are something else.

How new ideas come to anyone is a mystery. Take Einstein's great idea of his Equivalence Principle...that gravity can be locally made to vanish by a free fall. He said that this was the key to his GR. And that he got the idea while watching a kid jumping from a diving board. No kid, no GR...

So, should Einstein have stopped the boy and asked him his name and address so he could acknowledge him in his paper? Since he didn't do that, the boy could have, as of now, dragged Einstein to the court...couldn't he?

Srinivasa Ramanjuan said that most of his 'conjectures' were revealed to him in his dreams by Goddess Namakkal of Namagiri:

Srinivasa Ramanujan credits his mathematical findings to goddess Namagiri. According to Ramanujan, she appeared in his visions, proposing him mathematical formulae, which Ramanujan would then have to verify. One such event was described by him as follows:

"While asleep, I had an unusual experience. There was a red screen formed by flowing blood, as it were. I was observing it. Suddenly a hand began to write on the screen. I became all attention. That hand wrote a number of elliptic integrals. They stuck to my mind. As soon as I woke up, I committed them to writing."


So, should he have cited the Goddess or at least acknowledged her in the text of his publications?

I once read that Dirac was traveling in a train by the window seat and passing time juggling a pill box with pills almost full to its brim except for a few missing ones. And this plaything led him to the idea of the Dirac sea, holes and positrons.

Should Dirac have acknowledged his debt to the manufacturer of the trademark pillbox?

Most of the religious texts are said to be revelations occasioned by trivial incidents. It is said that Lord Buddha got the idea of his Middle Path when he saw a lute-player tune her lute..not too tight nor too lax.

So....


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$


Let us leave this vexed topic of intellectual property rights.

Here is a story I read in Chandmama in my school days which stuck:

This village was having lot of burglaries, and the citizens decide to draw a roster and assign night duty to one household every day. The menfolks in the household would do the rounds of the village at night every once in a while...and do the watch and ward duty to thwart thieves.

In a household of pundits there were 4 brothers who were rather unworldly. And the first brother, while going round the streets, went about singing:


Janma dukham jaraa dukham jyayaa dukham punah punah
Samsara Sagaram dukham tasmaat jaagrata jaagrata

 
 meaning (roughly):


Birth is sorrow, old age is sorrow, wife is sorrow again and anon
This ocean of worldliness is sorrow; therefore awake awake!


The second brother, in his watch sang:


Maata naasti pitaa naasti naasti bandhu sahodarah
Artham naasti griham naasti tasmaat jaagrata jaagrata

meaning:


Mother is transient, father is transient, transient are friends and siblings
Wealth is transient, bungalows are transient; therefore awake awake!


The third brother, in his leg sang:


Aashaya badhyate loke karmanaa bahuchintayaa
Ayuh kshinam najaanaati tasmaat jaagrata jaagrata

meaning:


Bound by desires, people keep thinking of means to get rich
Unaware of their shrinking age; therefore awake awake!
 

The youngest went about singing:


Kaamascha krodhascha lobhascha dehe tishtanti taskarah
Jnaana ratnaapaharyaaya tasmaat jagraata jaagrata

meaning:


Lust, anger and avarice are the thieves residing within us
Stealing our jewel of wisdom; therefore awake awake!



************************************************************************************************************

No comments: