Saturday, October 25, 2014

Ambulant Humor - Repeat Telecast

**************************************************************************************************************************






My wife got the fondest and promptest discharge from her ICU (I still can't say, 'body').

My son says quite a few staff were crying and it was left to him to console them...sort of.

My son and I were at the Idly-Dosa-People (a very nice Eatery) at 9 PM since they said it would be a couple of hours more.

By the time I was half-way through my Puri, I got the message that she breathed her last.

Both of us ran there wondering if they would release her at that time of the night without such formalities as co-payment settlement which requires the Billing Section to open the next morning at 10 AM.

When we reached there the Sister asked us to wait for just 15 minutes...

...At the end of which the closed casket emerged on the stretcher-wheeler with two or three ayas ready to wheel it downstairs as soon as our Ambulance arrived.

It is rather nice to die in Hyderabad....everyone is so professional and kind at the same time.

My son had already given a 'heads up' to the Ambulance Driver that he should help us out in reaching us to our Nile Valley Home an hour or more away. He sought just 15 minutes and assured us that by the time we reached our home, the electrical freezer box would be there waiting for us.

Which it was.

Next morning we had to reach the Cremation Ground after the last rite formalities were through by noon.

The weather turned kind...the summer sun mellowed and a pre-monsoon cool breeze showered her affection on our cheeks and dried our eyes.

Yesterday's Ambulance Driver had asked another friend of his to report at our home for the final journey. And I was asked to give him Rs 1800 that was the standard  tariff.

He did an excellent job; and pulled me out asking for his payment quick since he has another call to attend.

I asked him: 

"How much should I pay you?"

"Rs 2000"

"But your friend asked me to pay you only Rs 1800"

"Oh, he didn't know that I had re-bored my engine which is as good as new now"

"Shall I call him up and confirm?"


"What is the use?"

I generally never haggle hard when I get a good enough service I couldn't forgo. So, I put my hands on his shoulder, pushed Rs 2000 in his pocket, and said rather lightly:

"Now that I gave you whatever charges you demanded, do pray that I won't be needing your services too soon"


He then guffawed and said:

"That even God can't grant...He too will one day need our Ambulance Services"


And  revved up his engine to see another soul off....@ Rs 2000...




...Posted by Ishani


**********************************************************************************************************************

No comments: