Friday, October 24, 2014

Millennial Craziness - Repeat Telecast

**********************************************************************************************************************






Yes, here we are! A thousand crazy posts!!! (now 2000)

There are some crazier guys like Saswat who take the trouble of toting up the number of posts displayed year-wise at the top of the Blog and complain that I am cheating. 

No, sir! I don't add and keep track...Blogger Dashboard (dash it!) does it for me; and while checking on Saswat's complaint I clicked on the 'Posts' button, I discovered that Blogger counts also the posts posted and removed and stored as Drafts for fear of antagonizing someone or the other. And if I count the ones that I deleted too, the number far exceeds 1000.  Saswat is like that guest invited to the Golden Wedding Jubilee of an old couple and, after eating meat and fish and drinking wine and vodka in exchange for sumptuous gifts to the old man, challenges the couple that they are cheating...he got hold of a copy of the 50-year-old Marriage Licence by bribing the clerk and discovered that the couple are celebrating  a couple of days too early. He will know by and by that some 'days' of marital life are so tediously halu that they can be counted as 2 if not 3.

There was never an intention to reach this weird milestone. It all started 5 years ago with Sayan egging me on to write something on SDM for their phy mag and then by fits and starts the thing became a Niagara. And whenever boredom set in and I thought of stopping writing and start reading, a handful of tyrants put their nailed boots down on my sweet corns, happily.



I didn't know that girls as young as 2.5 can blush.

Ishani's mother tongue vocabulary is better than her dad's (his forte is slang bong). And she can speak sentences with 'suppositional' clauses. Like this that she picked up from her grannie...I quote in her Telugu syntax:


"Salt more you eat suppooose; your BP will rise"


All that is left for her to master is the subjunctive mood.

But this evening she ran into my bedroom all dressed up to kill and announced exitedly:


"Daddy is taking us to Thoothatpally!"


"Where to...where to?"


"Thoothatpally"

"Where to, where to?"

And then she blushed and ran away. Because, she hasn't yet learned to say: "K" and substitutes "Th" for it; and she is aware of it....

Women! 



About six months ago I posted a blog on our front-neighbors (aamne-saamne):

http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2014/10/hormonious-living-repeat-telecast.html




They are a very nice Bengali couple, husband working in the US for a while, wife working in Hyderabad. They have since decided to shift to the US next week. The lady dropped in to invite us for a Big-Do on the occasion of the annaprasan of their kid son. After inviting my D-i-L, she asked for me...since in this 'township' I am the only one who speaks in sketchy patchy Bengali to her (My son returns home at midnight). And after saying Dhonnabad, I asked her if they are leaving India for good...I shouldn't have done that, but these things happen. Her eyes moistened and she broke out, "Janeena, ki hobey!" ("Can't say what is in store for us"). And I blessed her, "Bhaloyi hobey, khoob bhalo thakoon!" ("Good only will happen, may you be very happy!")

Just now I peeped in at their door and the Young One came out to draw me in but I resisted saying that I don't eat...my son and D-i-L will make up for me. He then called out a younger one and introduced him to me saying that he is going to KGP for counseling to join M Tech. And I said a few nice things about KGP. And the Young One introduced me as a retired Professor from KGP and added:

"He never went to the US but knows all about it from his students"


So...our Mark Twain-Hartford-Yale conversation of six months vintage has stuck like a mud-cake...



...Posted by Ishani

**********************************************************************************************************************

No comments: