Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Looks & Feels - Repeat Telecast

***************************************************************************************************************************






You look like an angel
Walk like an angel
Talk like an angel
But I got wise
You're the devil in disguise
Oh, yes, you are
The devil in disguise

...Elvis Presley



...Prof. Sastry was a young teacher (about 25 years old) when I was his student in the B. Sc (Physics Hons) final year. He was so simple and humble that he could hardly be recognized as teacher. He looked more like a final year B. Tech. or post-graduate student...


...Dharam Vir

  http://gpsastry.blogspot.in/2011/09/sweet-sixty.html 



...It is not everyone who is likely to feel depressed at the thought that he has lost his original youthful appearance. It is only an abnormal person who will cling to a vision of himself as he was years before. Most persons, after they get over their initial surprise, will settle down and accept the position with a good deal of cheer. That is how Nature has intended it to be taken. Within reasonable limits one ought to look one's years. There is a certain propriety about it: that girth is inevitable at that age or that degree of greyness. To be rosy-cheeked, curly-headed and slim at fifty! You have to only think of this picture to realise how incongruous it would be. It would be in the nature of an insult to the age, as unacceptable as attaining the rotundity and baldness of middle age at eighteen. Nature seems to have arranged it all with great forethought....

...RKN in Looking One's Age



...President Obama has joked plenty about his gray hair, usually attributing it to his hard work in the White House and on the campaign trail. 

But in Michelle Obama's new "Good Morning America" interview with Robin Roberts, the first lady confesses, "People think the gray is from his job -- it's from his children."

"There's nothing like the look on his face when Malia dresses up for a party, and she's heading out. She walks past him, and you can see his face sort of just drop a little bit," Michelle laughs. "It's like, 'Who was that?'"


 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/president-obama-gray-hair-video_n_2766248.html 



That is a sheaf of quotes about looks of men (RKN and I feel unequal to risk talking of women's looks vis-a-vis their ages).

There comes a day in every boy's life when he would look at the mirror and wish he would sprout a mustache and beard overnight (like his father). And pray. And apply lotions and creams and ginger paste and cod liver oil and haldi on the sly. But nothing happens. Everything in this world has to bide its time.

And then there comes an age when he curses his daily shaves and wishes his face were as smooth as his wife's. 

When I was a young lecturer at IIT KGP, around the time I was teaching Dharam Vir's batch, I was sporting a tiny mustache like Junior Mehmood in this video:


It was neither here nor there. But I thought, like every Andhra young man those days, that a mustache is a symbol of virility. But as the saying goes, even a prawn has an enviable mustache that doesn't seem to much contribute in that effort.



  




One morning while trimming it in a hurry one half of it got sheared clean and since half a mustache wasn't better than nothing I had to clear away the other half too. Since anyway my mush was almost invisible, no one noticed the difference and I felt glad about the accident. And that was the end of it. And I felt like a coolie who had just dumped his head-load. There is a lesson there if you want one. Many more things in life other than mustaches are eminently disposable...like that Nobel Medal that is gong under hammer.

My youthful appearance continued unabated till the age of 45 when all of a sudden I turned grey and grumpy and toothless and glassy. It was like one of those first-order phase transitions...like water turning into ice. I didn't care much about it. Indeed I felt rather happy that my wife was relieved inwardly...she was 7 years younger to me but didn't look it till then.

But I continued feeling like a young man of 25 because I was mingling all the while with students between 18 and 24. So youth is a matter of feeling rather than looking. 

Things changed suddenly after my retirement when I was cut off from teaching youngsters willy-nilly. But my grumpy looks were more or less intact. And I felt happy about it since folks left me alone and that rest was needed for my new activity of daily blogging.

And now I am on 70 struggling hard to cut that flab around the tummy that I acquired after I became single again...

And feel as old as the hills, the rivers, the seas, the woods, the rocks, and the very God.

As RKN said:

"Nature seems to have arranged it all with great forethought"









...Posted by Ishani

******************************************************************************************************************************

No comments: